Sunday, April 9, 2017

I Took Zero Photos

I just got back from my grandmother's GIANT 100th BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION in Sleepy Hollow, where I took ZERO pictures. There were 38 family members there, and probably an equal number of my grandmother's friends, and wooooo! It was a huge BASH! There were so many people there that I almost walked by reception hall because I thought that it wasn't our party! My grandma is apparently Miss Popularity at the retirement home!

 I haven't seen my brother and his family in years, and so I tried my best to be fully present and give them real attention rather than sticking my phone in their face. My bro and his wife gave me vibrating slippers as a belated birthday present. With CHEETAH PRINT! I'm wearing them every day now, but especially to any school function where I can embarrass my girls! We were disappointed at first when we discovered that they needed new batteries, but Bob ran down to the car and brought the exact size batteries to save the day.

At the party, I brought face paint and snuck into the corner with the kids and painted faces, so no hands for photos. And I also jumped at the chance to hold the brand new baby, Vivian, and snuggled the bejesus out of her. I really tried to get around to everyone and visit.That is a much better use of time than endless photos. I spoke to my grandmother, the Birthday Queen, the least, because she always had a receiving line.

Every one of the relatives of my generation has little kids but me. I started 15 years ahead of the traditional ultra-educated white people schedule (married at 30, kids at 35 is our culture's standard). All and all, there were 11 kids.  I was relaxing with my thoughts while everyone was chasing munchkins. A weird change of roles. Nevie helped with The Smalls a lot, and even tried to take them swimming but the hotel pool was closed.

I woke up way before everyone else (of course...I'm on farm time), and it was quiet. I drank coffee and walked around the hotel...leisurely-like. It is a strange new phase of life. Maybe I don't need a baby, I just have to get used to how weird it feels for me not to have "irish twins" to mind all the time. How to not think in multiples of three constantly (myself, plus 2)... three chairs, three toothbrushes, three pairs of underwear, three cups of juice? Because that's what my brain still automatically does. Bob and I were talking about what terrible self-care habits we have. I guess that is what I am supposed to learn...how to love and take care of myself, which I never really got a chance to do. It seems easier to add motherhood, though, than it is to let go...

My grandmother, sharp as ever, had not missed any of the gossip, and wanted to know why Nevie didn't bring her new boyfriend! When I told her that Nevie's guy's name is Dakotah, she innocently asked if he is Native American! Dakota (minus the H) is a pretty common name now, but to a 100 year old lady's ears, that's a new one! It was very cute.

Not tired, but got to go to sleep to get up before dawn tomorrow.

Love and light,
Your friend,
Hil











1 comment:

  1. I'd have loved to have seen photos, but I love even more that you enjoyed yourself. Astute observation, also, about the possibility of babies (or not) in your future. Hang in there. If it's meant to happen it will; if not, that's fine too. You'll be surprised how glad you'll be when it's your turn to be granny/grandma yourself, in a few more years. It doesn't make you old. It makes you awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete