Monday, May 29, 2017

pink stuff

Hola, Thrillerati! Summer has begun and I never want to be anywhere but Rednecktopia once the weather warms up. Kayakers and fishermen are in the river. Wildflowers are everywhere, and I have finally had a few days to stay at home. I love it here in the summertime! Tourists are here. Hawk Mountain was covered with highly annoying bicyclists not sharing the road, and Sequoia would not believe that people actually come here for vacation.

"Seriously? Do they think economic decay is cute?"
"They think it is charming and relaxing."
"No, seriously? They must be from here."
"Look at the plates...Jersey, DC, New York..."
"Well, I'm going to Detroit for vacation."


It has been a super productive weekend, all though the vibe is rather subdued after the disasters of last week. I designed a logo and a website for my art, hileldridge.com. It is simple right now, but I wanted to have something before the art show next weekend. I also had a new business card printed, which is a surprisingly rewarding experience. I feel so OFFICIAL with a business card.
BAM! Doesn't that look fancy?

I found an ad on facebook with a picture of twenty different antique mirrors leaning against a wall. The ad said,"$5 bucks". Bob and I went to see what was going on there, and we found an old, abandoned Masonic Temple that had been renovated by this amazing family. Upstairs they have created a beautiful karate dojo, and downstair they have an apartment. The kids had swings set up in the Masonic Temple, and were riding scooters up and down the gigantic room. They said they had a whole basement full of stuff that came with the building. Bob, of course, went up to see the dojo, and I picked out three mirrors. I could have taken more, but I didn't want to be a hog! I love the ingenuity of this couple. I love it when people step outside of the box. They want me to come and do some art with them, and my fresh business card was hot in my pocket! Yeah, I'm child-like. I want to give the mailman and the meter reader my business card because it is shiny and new.
I said to the little boy,"Wow! This is cool! How many kids have a set up like this?" as he sped down a ramp and across the temple floor on his scooter.
"Nobody!" he said with a grin.


So, the thing about old mirrors is...they weigh 800 lbs. I had to fasten hardware and figure out how to get it on the wall, and you know me...limited practical knowledge. I hung the first mirror up last night and it is still on the wall today! Look at that sexy mirror. I wonder where it has been? To be honest, I have been throwing everything in the world in our bedroom and leaving it there to die. My old tattoo equipment. Broken pictures that I mean to reframe. Dirty clothes. Clean clothes. Childhood stuffed animals. Art supplies. Dust. Dog hair. I pulled every belonging out and went through EVERY SINGLE THING this weekend. I scrubbed the hell out of it, hung new pictures and moved the furniture around. Now it is all brand new!





I'm not totally delighted with the pictures, but you get the general idea. Sequoia put blush on the dog again. The light and angles and mirror in a bedroom make photos tricky, add in the animals...well, I guess I'm a photographic genius to have gotten anything at all. I'm really into PINK right now, which is hysterical because I have always detested that color. I just want things to be soft and cozy right now. It is probably the political situation of the world. Give me a safe, cozy place. I asked Bob his opinion about adding pink in the bedroom, and he said,"I'm secure enough in my masculinity not to worry about a pink pillowcase."

Love and light,
Your friend,
Hil

2 comments:

  1. Pink is the color of compassion and universal love, so it makes perfect sense that in the current political environment, you want to surround yourself with it.

    I love the mirror!!!! I had a gorgeous 1920's era mirror that had been damaged by water. Adored it, wanted to keep it. Hubby promised to repair it for me, which was never going to happen. Sold it instead. It was necessary, but broke my heart. I'm glad you were able to put your find into a place of honor, instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel like a totally different person than I used to be, even with different likes and dislikes. Bummer about your old mirror. I have had so many things come and go, I just try to stay open about it. What is meant for me, is mine.

      Delete